Thursday 19 March 2020


Hello.

I thought I'd post a few photographs of my garden. In this strange new world we are living in, it is comforting to notice the unfolding of spring and realise that in nature and in our gardens things are continuing much as normal. Shortly after taking these photos I saw the first butterfly of the year, a yellow Brimstone - always the first one of the year round here, the natural cycles continue.

There are masses of celandines in this shady border. Although they are considered a rather invasive weed I appreciate the show of colour carpeting the ground and in a few short weeks the leaves will have died down and the area will be full of lily of the valley. I also think they might be a good way of smothering early weeds but that might be wishful thinking!


I haven't posted for months but hope to show up a bit more frequently in the coming weeks, connection online is going to become more important to us as we are inevitably isolated from family and friends and missing our social activities.


4 comments:

Heather LeFebvre said...

Tried to leave a comment yesterday but not sure if it worked!!! SO excited to hear from you and to read your post and see your garden -- so much ahead of ours! Will look forward to hearing more. Take care!!!

willow said...

Thanks Heather. I've not been good at posting at all lately but I think connection is so important at the moment - will try harder!!

Hanneke said...

Thanks for sharing these lovely photos. My garden and the fact that spring is here regardless of what crisis we humans have to deal with, is what brings me comfort too. That, and a lively little one year old who's cheerful as always and oblivious to what's happening! Take good care!

willow said...

Hi Hanneke,
Lovely to hear from you. Yes, getting outside and into the countryside or the garden always makes me feel better. Hope we can continue to do this on a daily basis. So grateful to have a garden.