Thursday 19 January 2023

January

January this year started off very wet and now its very cold. I prefer the latter although this year the cold spell that followed the above average rainfall has led to some treacherous icy conditions on the smaller lanes around here. The main roads are okay although there is still some ice but the water running off the fields into the lanes makes them into ice rinks. We've limited our walks to the village only, these frosty photographs are from the cold snap before Christmas.


Halfway through January and the afternoons are lighter. On bright sunny days it feels like spring, snowdrops are in flower and even some early daffodils. We seem to be in a hurry to "get through" winter, a place we'd rather not linger. It certainly has its challenges with recent flooding and cold interupting day to day life but for those of us lucky enough to be able to stay warm and dry, it can be a peaceful time to be inside. Winter evenings are when I am content to knit or read, activities that sit well with lower winter energy levels. So although I welcome the lighter days, I want to enjoy this season where I feel I can slow down a little.




No comments: