Saturday 5 May 2007

Small scale gardening


We have a fairly small garden and although I have my allotment to grow vegetables, I still like to grow a few things in the garden. Every year I try to squeeze a bit more in and when I looked at this patch I wondered if I've gone a bit too far.
Underneath a minature apple tree, Discovery, I have strawberries plus some chives and some peppermint (for peppermint tea). A couple of weeks ago I thought there might be room between the strawberry plants for something else and so I moved a few ruby chard plants. I am now wondering if the chard will shade the strawberries too much but you never know it might all work.

3 comments:

Jenny said...

The chard might stop the birds finding the strawberries as well as giving shade.

e4 said...

It's not crowded, it's biointensive!

willow said...

I like the word biointensive, it sounds so organised, planned even, rather than that I just push in as much as possible.
It would be nice to think that I could hide some of the stawberries from the birds, Jenny, but somehow I think they'll find them anyway!