Monday 3 September 2007

Knitting update

I haven't posted anything about knitting for a while, but that doesn't mean I've stopped knitting. Since I was small I have always been knitting something and often several things at once, although now I try to limit myself to not more than three projects at the same time.

I finished this jumper a few weeks ago.


The pattern is from Alterknits by Leigh Radford and John Rizzo. This book has some knitting patterns in it but it is more a book of ideas rather than a pattern book to follow exactly.

The yarn is Rowan Scottish Tweed. I used the 4ply in Apple which gives a nice flecked appearance. I'm very pleased with the colour and the neckline but not sure about the raglan shaping around the shoulders, but maybe its just how a raglan is supposed to be, I've always knitted set in sleeves before. I don't know how to change it so I'll leave it as it is and wait for the cooler weather so I can wear it.

At the moment I am spinning the corriedale pencil roving I bought from Crown Mountain Farms. I am spinning it fairly fine and although that means that the individual colours are lost, I am pleased with the yarn. The colours have blended nicely, my favourite autumn colours.


The colours show up better on this photo of the knitting taken outside.

I have chosen a pattern that I've used before so at least with this one I shall know that I like the fit.


Last but not least is the sock knitting.


This is my "knit in the car while I'm waiting" knitting. I haven't really touched it during the six weeks summer holiday but now term has started and I will be waiting outside school, waiting at the station etc etc. Very simple sock knitting that I can do without thinking and without looking either for those few weeks when its dark by the time I meet my son from the train.

3 comments:

Jessica at Bwlchyrhyd said...

The jumper (and everything else, but especially the jumper!) looks lovely!

Anonymous said...

Such a pretty jumper. I love the sleeves, and the neckline. I'm knitting my first garment (scarves are, of course, excluded) from a pattern, and am hoping it comes out ok! It's a tank-top with a big rib at the bottom and ribbing around the neck and capped sleeves - it looks better than it sounds!

Jenny said...

I really like the jumper but like you I tend to feel not quite right in raglans. I love the colour of the wool you spun, it looks so soft and natural.