Sunday, 14 December 2008

A day in my life

The 14th of the month is here already. Its a Sunday so no early morning wake up required. I had set my alarm for 8 o'clock though because I am feeling really tired at the moment and thought I might oversleep leaving the chickens locked inside their house. It was just as well I did as the alarm woke me from a deep sleep.

The morning here was misty and cold.

I went out into the garden in my dressing gown to let the chickens out into the run and then made a cup of tea and took it back to the warmth of my bed! I couldn't rest for long though because my younger son was playing in a lacrosse tournament and we had to leave the house soon after nine.

By ten I was back and with my older son having an extreme oversleep, I had a couple of hours to myself. I finished the last of my Christmas card writing. The cards which contain letters tend to get left to last but I was undisturbed this morning and they are all done.

I sat at the dining room table next to the doors to the patio and the chickens kept a close watch on my progress.

I made some soup and eldest son did manage to get up in time to join me for lunch!
Next, a phone call from youngest son to tell me the tournament was finishing early and could he please be picked up, so in the car again to fetch him. At home for about ten minutes and then out again to drive eldest son to work.
Back home I went into the garden to give the chickens some grain. I checked for eggs and found two. I was feeling tired and instead of taking the eggs into the kitchen and then sorting out the chicken coop, I put one egg in each pocket of my coat and then started work. This is a lesson in "more haste, less speed" and you can probably guess what happened next.... I complete forgot about the eggs and was leaning over the run when I heard a cracking sound - one crushed egg in my coat pocket! So much for saving time and effort, I then had to wash my coat which will take ages to dry in this damp weather, I really should try to slow down and do one thing at a time.

Time for some tidying and doing the lunch time washing up which I had left when I had rushed out to pick up after lacrosse. I had just about got everything straight and it was time to cook dinner. Only me and younger son tonight so I decided to keep it very simple, omlettes, with salad for me and with potato wedges for him followed by steamed apple pudding.
Its almost 8pm now, packed lunch for tomorrow is done, clean shirts are ready and we have cleared up after dinner so I have time to write this post. My husband has just phoned from Heathrow (he has been in America for a week) to let me know he has landed safely. He will get the bus from the airport and then I will pick him up from the station. I hope he manages to get a bus straight away because I have to pick up my son from work at 10pm and I have a funny feeling that I am going to need to be in two places at once.
That was my day, a rather disjointed, coming and going sort of day but I manged to get everyone where they had to be at the time they had to be there - well so far anyway!


libby said...

As always I enjoyed reading about your day. Sounds busy, but productive, with the exception of the egg incident :-). My girls love to watch me inside as well.


Simply Authentic said...

Sounds incredibly busy, but glad to hear you were able to get some things done for you! Too bad about the egg, but it's alright. Sounds like you are doing lots of transport! Love the pictures on the sidebar too! Hope you are having a good week....

Heather L. said...

I love your diary! So sorry about the egg in the pocket -- what a mess. Egg is no fun to clean up.

Denise said...

Thanks for sharing your day. I can relate to trying to be in two places at once!