Saturday 27 October 2012

knitting update


Firstly my completed knitting, Warriston by Kate Davies. I started knitting this jumper more than a year ago and finished last week. It hasn't been a favourite knit. The wool is Shetland Aran from Jamieson and Smith which isn't as soft as I would have liked though it does seem to have improved after washing.

I cast on for the second size and then realised that it would swamp me so I decreased as I knitted the body so that I ended up with the right number of stitches for the first size by the time I got to join the sleeves.


The cowl neck gave me more problems and didn't sit well at first so I stitched it down which stops the neck stretching and gives a neater shape. I like the i-cord edging around the cowl, sleeves and pocket edging which gives a smart finish.


The weather here is turning colder this weekend and we are off to Shetland in a few days so it seems I finished it just in time.

My current knitting is a complete contrast to Warriston, I wanted something more delicate and I am now knitting with laceweight fine kid mohair. This is the Fantail Lace Scarf by Jenny Cook. I bought the hand dyed mohair from the Wool and Willow shop in Hay-on-Wye. I am enjoying knitting with this soft luxurious yarn.


It is difficult to photograph part knitted lace so I pegged it out on my washing line to take a picture - excuse the slight blurriness, it was a little breezy! I am just over half way through this scarf and it will be my travel knitting on holiday.


1 comment:

Elizabeth said...

What a beautiful vibrant blue! This will be a great pop of color in the middle of a dreary winter day :) I love the cowl neck!