Tuesday 18 December 2007

Pale grey days



Just a few days before the shortest day and the colour here is pale grey. I have just returned from a trip to see my parents and driving along the motorways to their house every thing seemed to have a midwinter grey appearance. I left home before it was light and as dawn broke all the fields were white with frost and the motorway itself was pale from a coating of salt, even the bright colours of the cars were muted by a covering of salt spray and grime.

Mum is battered and bruised following her fall but is in a lot less pain than she was. She is feeling very frustrated at not being able to do much at the moment and my Dad is coping with all the cooking while trying to stop my mother from doing more than she should. I was able to do a few jobs for them but it is at times like this I wish that we did not live so far away, a short visit more regularly would be more beneficial than a weekend stay at longer intervals.

I am back home now and we are winding down at the end of what seems like a very long term. I have already finished work until after Christmas and by the end of this week both boys will have broken up also. They are also noticing the greyness, leaving and returning to the house in the darkness. The sunset is already moving back although it will be the beginning of January before the mornings are lighter. We are all looking forward to the Christmas break and then the lengthening days.

6 comments:

Heather L. said...

The picture is beautiful! I'm sorry about your mum's fall -- glad you could go and help them. I hope she mends quickly. Have a good week and a lovely Christmas!

willow said...

Thanks, Heather. The photo is the river near my parents house. I took this picture while walking with my father on Sunday afternoon, the weather was really dull and then the sun broke through just for a few minutes.

shadows and clouds said...

hi willow, sorry about your mum's fall too! 'hope she's soon totally fixed and pain-free. after several cloudy days we have a bright blue sky here, though it is minus five outside - if you like i'll send you a bit of the sky and sunshine though!

Anonymous said...

Sorry to hear about your Mum's fall - I hope she's feeling better and letting your dad help too. My mum is a long distance away and that is something I'd like very much to change but it's so hard. Fingers crossed for a recovery.

It won't be long until the days start to get longer, definitely by January you can tell the New Year is in the air. Though there is something precious about these short days, the light is so pale and interesting - beautiful hues all around.

If I don't get to read/ comment before the big event, Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to you and yours :)

Simply Authentic said...

i'm glad you were able to get up to see her as i know it's been on your mind a lot as of late. although you aren't able to go as often as you'd like due to the distance, i'm sure that your going meant the world to them. and it's evident how often you think about them. i hope your mom continues to heal!

Victoria May Plum said...

I'm so sorry to hear about your mum. I hope that she gets better soon.

Have a wonderful Christmas with your family.

Victoria x