Friday 29 August 2008

Decluttering

I know spring is the season generally associated with having a good clear out and getting everything clean and tidy but autumn also seems to be a good time to get things in order.

It is the time of year when I tidy up the garden, pruning and cutting back, moving plants or getting rid of those that are too big or taking over the garden. This year the same clearing and tidying process is taking place inside the house as well.


I can't take the credit for these bags ready for the charity shop though, they are full of books that my youngest son has decided that he has outgrown. He tells me there are 139 books altogether.



He is usually such a hoarder, I was really surprised that he could part with so many. As we dropped them off at the Oxfam bookshop, it was me that felt a bit sad, there were hours of bedtime stories in those bags.

I have followed his good example and cleared out some clothing and a few books of my own. I have listed some of last years school textbooks on Amazon and am hoping to recoup some of the money I spent on them. I'm not sure how well they will sell though, a lot of other people have had the same idea and there are loads for sale at very low prices.


Of course visiting the charity shops does give the opportunity to buy stuff as well and I must make sure that I don't get carried away and return home with more than I donated. Only one purchase this time, a pure wool Witney blanket that was too good a bargain to be missed - even the chickens approve!

3 comments:

ginny said...

Hi Willow,
I like the blanket.. it will be so useful this winter to keep warm so you won't need to put the heating on too much.
I also think that now is a good time to declutter and sort out ... kind of preparing our living spaces in readiness for the autumn/winter season when we are inside more.
warm wishes
ginny x

Quail said...

Witney blankets are the best forms of comfort! I bought mine from an Oxfam shop during Glastonbury a couple years ago and it hasn't left the couch since...except for a wash now and then!!!!

Maggie said...

I too hate parting with my books but when I do I take them to our local Adelaide Oxfam bookshop.
I buy all my books for a dollar or two at thrift shops.
Good to visit your blog.