Tuesday 2 January 2007

New Year Resolution - reduce Food Miles

I took the Christmas decorations down yesterday, the tree is waiting to be taken for recycling and all the tinsel etc is packed away in the loft for another year. The house looked bare a first but it does feel calmer.

Time then to look forward. A list of New Years Resolutions always seems daunting so this year there is just one - to reduce the food miles our food has travelled to reach our plates. We've eaten more or less organic for several years but I'm only just beginning to think about where our food has come from. This year I will try to eat more locally and therefore more seasonally.

I've read Coming Home to Eat by Gary Paul Nabhan in which he describes living on a diet of food produced within a 250 mile radius of his home but have decided at this stage not to set a rigid distance limit. Instead my goal is to buy food that has been produced in the UK - of course living in the south means that food may still have travelled many hundreds of miles but at least its a start. This week I shall concentrate on fruit, vegetables, dairy, meat, flour etc.

I shall be doing my weekly shop tommorrow so I'll see how it goes

No comments: