Sunday 10 February 2008

February Sunshine



Like most of the southern half of the country we have had a wonderful weekend of blue skies and sunshine. Yesterday we went for a walk along the River Thames, all a bit muddy but great to get out into the fresh air. Today I have spent quite a bit of time sitting on my little bench with a book and a cup of tea, the sun was really quite warm though it did seem a bit odd to be reading in the garden in February.


At my allotment yesterday, I was talking to my neighbour on the next plot and she reckoned that this year the season is about two weeks advanced from usual. She has rented her plot for over fourty years so she should know! Today while sitting in the garden I watched a pair of robins flying in and out of a climber on the back of my house with beaks full of nest-building materials. When I was little I remember being told that the birds started nest building on Valentines Day. These robins have been nestbuilding for at least a week, possibly another indication that spring is arriving a couple of weeks early.


I took this photo of the first shoots of my early rhubarb just because I love the bright colour of the first buds and leaves as they push through the soil.

2 comments:

Heather L. said...

How nice that Spring is advancing there by you! The rhubarb looks so promising!! We are being hit by bitter cold (10 degrees F) and are to have a lot of snow this week. Spring must wait for now.

shadows and clouds said...

i wish it was such good weather here! jealous! the rhubard looks so bizarre! funny, cause my mum had a nightmare about having an allotment full of rhubarb the other night (she doesn't like the stuff ...i do though!)