Saturday 4 June 2011

A London walk


I bought this book, Walk London, as a little birthday present to myself back in March. I am really a country girl at heart but I enjoy an occasional visit to our capital city. However as I don't know my way around we can often wander aimlessly not sure where to go and then we end up tired of walking around and not seeing much outside the main tourist attractions.

This book has 15 short walks and seemed a good way to explore new-to-me parts of the city.  Each walk starts and finishes at an underground station, useful for a country bumpkin like myself! Walk no. 14 caught my eye - A Pirates Path to Docklands - starting at Tower Hill and ending at Canary Wharf. 




We walked under Tower Bridge and enjoyed coffee in the luxurious surroundings of St Katherines Docks.



Luxury and money were themes throughout the day as the Thames Path passes some very exclusive apartments between Tower Bridge


and Canary Wharf.


I had seen these buildings from afar


but this was the first time I'd seen them close up. The whole area around Canary Wharf was very smart and extremely clean.



These trees had been tidied up with some very severe pruning


interesting to see shadows of almost leafless trees in midsummer.


We wandered around the smart streets and then went below ground to see all the shops. I hadn't realised that there were streets of shops and restaurants all underground. It felt a little claustrophobic, not somewhere I would want to stay too long and I felt sorry for the people working in the shops completely cut off from daylight for the whole working day.

At the end of the day I was glad to leave the city behind and return home but I look forward to trying out a few more of the walks in the book. 

1 comment:

Simply Authentic said...

That sounds really neat! What a great way to explore new parts to the city--sure hope you post as you do some of the others :)