Thursday 21 February 2013

Orchids at Kew Gardens



Today I took a day trip to London with eldest son. I haven't been to Kew Gardens since the boys were small so I decided to treat myself this half-term. The weather was very cold today, even a few flakes of snow, so we spent most of the time in the Princess of Wales conservatory amongst all the Orchids.


This special exhibition is on for another week and the flowers were stunning.




After the warmth of the conservatory we braved the cold once again and walked past the crocus


to the treetop walkway.


Here, 18 metres above the ground it felt even colder but there were good views over the garden


and I was able to look down on the trees.


By now we were thoroughly chilled again so we made our way to the Temperate House (the largest surviving glasshouse in the world)


and ate our picnic lunch in the warm amongst the palm trees.


I'll have to go back again when the weather is warmer and look around the rest of the garden. This afternoon it was just too cold so we hopped on the tube and spent time in the warmth of the Victoria and Albert Museum instead.

No comments: