Tuesday 21 April 2015

a seaside fix


I often wish I lived nearer to the sea. It takes us about an hour and a half to reach our nearest coast which for the UK is quite a long way. However, last week I was speaking to someone form Johannesburg, to get to the beach they had to drive 400 miles so I suppose I'm quite lucky!

Last week I got a couple of hours at the coast.


It wasn't great seaside weather but we walked along the promenade and watched the sea and the seagulls.


I looked at the tough seaside plants, sea kale


and scurvy grass. Scurvy grass is the pink/white flower that you sometimes see alongside motorways, it can withstand the salt spread on the roads in winter so has found a suitable niche to grow. Here it is in its natural habitat, growing close to the shore.


This is one of the Solent Forts with the Isle of Wight behind. Two of the forts have now been turned into hotels, it would certainly be an unusual place to spend the night but doesn't really appeal to me.


I am happy to stay on dry land and watch the waves from the shore. Despite the greyness of the day, it was good to be beside the sea, a little seaside fix until I am next away on holiday - just five weeks to go.


1 comment:

Elizabeth said...

So beautiful. I agree, there's nothing like a trip to the beach and that salt air. Gorgeous photos as always :)