Wednesday 25 June 2008

Potato harvest

I planted these potatoes in pots at the end February, two tubers to a pot. Today I had run out of potatoes so I decided it was time to see how well they had grown. The chickens watched closely as I tipped out a pot and found some good sized potatoes.
This pot contained 1 lb 8 oz of potatoes which seemed to be quite good considering they were in a relatively small pot. We ate them this evening, I always enjoy the first new potatoes from the garden.




If I had plenty of room I probably wouldn't bother growing potatoes in pots but it is a good way of getting a few potatoes from a small space.


After I had gathered up the potatoes, the chickens scratched through the compost eating anything they could see that moved. So potatoes for us and plenty of bugs for the chickens.






2 comments:

Heather L. said...

Your potatoes are beautiful!

barefoot gardener said...

Yum, yum! Thanks for sharing, now I can guess how many 'taters I am gonna get from my patch. It's my first year!