Sunday 10 March 2013

Shetland


Firstly, the naturally coloured Shetland wool I am currently knitting. This is the garter stitch edging for The Rams and Yowes blanket. There are over 800 stitches in each round and I thought I might find this part of the project boring but I don't. It is gentle meditative knitting, one row of knit, one row of purl and a slight change of colour every four rows to give this lovely graduated effect. The colour change is on the purl rows which softens the change, the underside looks more striped.

The natural shades of Shetland wool have such wonderful names.


Another Shetland, today is the first part of the TV drama of the same name which will be screened tonight (BBC) at 9pm. "Shetland" is based on the novel Red Bones by Anne Cleeves which I have read. I don't think the TV follows the book exactly but I am looking forward to it. Also making an appearance in the program is some knitting by Kate Davis so it is appropriate that I shall be watching while knitting round and round the edge of my Kate Davis designed blanket.


No comments: