Wednesday 16 December 2015

knitting, Christmas hat


On the last walking group walk before Christmas, I am told we should wear festive headgear preferably with sparkles, glitter and tinsel. Anyone who has read this blog for a while will know that I am not in favour of short lived festive "tat', made in unknown factories in far flung corners of the world and shipped here to be used for a day or two before ending up in landfill as I am sure so much of the Christmas stuff on sale does.

So I needed something to wear that didn't cost the earth. My hat is made from leftover Jamieson and Smith wool (2 ply jumper weight) and I adapted a pattern for a Fairisle beanie from the Traditional Sweater Book.

I substituted the fair isle patterns for snowflakes from Snawheid by Kate Davies and a simple holly design.


As sparkle was specifically mentioned, a few decorations and some tinsel temporarily borrowed from the tree will add the glitz!  - but only for the walk, the rest of the time its just a snug seasonal beanie.


No comments: