Tuesday 12 January 2010

Fingerless gloves, mitts, wristwarmers,



I'm not sure what to call my latest knitting project but whatever they are, they are very useful. I always get cold hands throughout the winter and I when I was out with my camera in the snow, I was finding it really difficult to take photographs when I couldn't feel my fingers.
Usually I knit my fingerless gloves using sock wool which is great for producing hardwearing gloves but I found my hands getting so cold when holding my camera.




These mitts are made from a couple of balls of chunky wool I found in a charity shop.  They are really long in the wrist because I hate that gap between glove and coat sleeve and also long over my fingers leaving just enough of my hands free to use my camera. The thick wool makes them really cosy and if I am not taking photographs I can curl all my fingers up inside thems and keep toasty and warm. When it was really cold I wore them over my usual gloves for double warmth.

We have not had any more snow and it is starting to thaw but with temperatures staying low the snow will be around for a while yet, definitely weather for gloves.

4 comments:

Heather L. said...

how wonderful! Rachel is knitting fingerless gloves and they look terrific. I want to do a pair but it is lower on the priority. I want to get the current sweater finished so I can actually wear it. Most of the time is spent sewing flowers though....

Moonroot said...

I love these kind of gloves - so practical! My ex-Mother-In-Law knitted me a pair which are so useful when taking food etc down to the chickens or letting them out in the morning. I'm planning to knit myself a few more pairs.

The List Writer said...

Lovely gloves - I am looking for a pattern to knit some for myself at the moment. I have that same hatred of cold, damp wrists that you get with bought gloves!

I'd love to know where you got the pattern from?

willow said...

I'm afraid I don't have a pattern for these gloves as I just made them up as I went along and I never write notes either although I always intend to - its surprising really that I managed to make two the same.
A few details
6mm dpns and aran tyoe wool.
knitted in the round 30sts k1p1 rib fitted my wrist (I started with 36 and decreased over a couple of inches to make a snug fit).
Basically it is just a tube with a few increases for the thumb and then casting off the increased stitches and carrying on with the tube until they are long enough.
Hope this is of some help.